There are many outdated & obsolete subject matters in the UG text books written by even indian authors. for eg:
1.quinine & salicylate as causes of tinnitus ( is any one using them anywhere & caused tinnitus? if so, where are the reports?)
2. congenital syphilis as the cause of deafness
3. syphilitic rhinitis.
4. hennebert's sign ( is syphilis still seen in india?
4. fenestration operation ( has any one done or doing this in india now?)
5. why should we mention thalidomide as a cause of cong deformities when it was abandoned & never even used by any one for more than 50 yrs
6.if u open the antrum in CSOM (TT) cases to see if there is any disease in mastoid- can we not term it as "antrotomy" as it is not at all even simple mastoidectomy
7. how can coffee & tea worsen menier's disease?
Dr Anita Bhandhari(Jaipur) said:
Hennebert's sign is also a feature of advanced Meniere's disease and perilymph fistula.So I think it is still important.
Dr Anita Bhandari,Jaipur
ADMIRAL[DR] V K SINGH (Agra)said :
COMMENTS:THESE TOPICS ARE NOT OBSELETE,THEY ARE WORTH HISTORY OF ENT,WE SHOULD NOT FORGET OUR SENIORS DID OBSERVE THESE FINDINGS AND DOCUMENTED.BUT I AGREED THEY CAN BE TAKEN OUT FROM UG BOOKS TO SIMPLIFY THEM,PG BOOKS SHOULD HAVE THEM IN HISTORICAL SECTION.HISTORY IS THE BASIS OF ANY NEWER DEVELOPMENT IN ANY FIELD.